Mosaic’s statement regarding the College of Bishops response to Living in Love and Faith on the 19th of January 2023 and the worship resources, ‘Prayers of Love and Faith’.
- We lament the fact that the College of Bishop’s felt unable to bring to General Synod a motion calling for a change to the doctrine of marriage and the offer of equal marriage. We pray for courage amongst our Bishops that we may move towards a future in which same-sex couples, including clergy, are able to marry in their parish church, and no one is forced to act against their conscience.
- We give thanks for the decision to offer a clear and unequivocal welcome to LGBTQ+ people and commend their decision to urge all congregations to welcome same-sex couples “unreservedly and joyfully”.
- We welcome the apology offered by the College of Bishops for the harm done by the church to LGBTQ+ people and yet are saddened that continuing to deny equal marriage in church does them, and the spread of the Gospel, further harm.
- We welcome the decision that ‘Issues in Human Sexuality’ will be rescinded and look forward to those Bishops and Clergy who are in same-sex relationships being able to publicly celebrate their love, albeit only by a Civil Partnership or Civil Marriage, followed by a Blessing in Church.
- We welcome the Prayers of Love and Faith and commend these resources for use in churches as we affirm and pray for God’s blessing on committed same-sex relationships.
You can download a PDF copy of the statement by clicking here.
One thought on “Statement Regarding the Recent Response by the College of Bishops”